Students learn about the IT Service Management Life cycle and its supporting processes, functions and roles. They also discover how an integrated IT Service Management framework can be adopted within their own organization.
- Describe Service Strategy which looks at overall business aims and expectations to ensure IT strategy maps back to them.
- Comprehend Service Design which starts with a set of new or changed business requirements and ends with the development of a solution designed to meet the documented needs of the business.
- Understand Service Transition which is concerned with managing change, risk & quality assurance and has an objective to implement service designs so that service operations can manage the services and infrastructure in a controlled manner.
- Elaborate Service Operation which is concerned with business as usual activities.
- Explain Continual Service Improvement which has an overall view of all other elements and looks for ways that the overall process and service provision can be improved.
Week-1: Read Chapters 1-2 of textbook; complete all assignment questions
- Service Management as a Practice
- Describe ITIL and best practices aligned with organizational goals
- Define services, customers and stakeholders
- Identify types of services
- Differentiate between internal and external services
- Define concepts of service management and IT service management
- Describe IT service provider types
- Comprehend processes and functions in the service lifecycle
- Construct the process model
Week-2: Read Chapters 3-5 of textbook; complete all assignment questions
- Understanding Service Strategy
- Comprehend the service strategy stage
- Demonstrate the value of services
- Describe management of risk in service management
- Service Strategy Processes
- Define service portfolio management
- Illustrate the financial management process
- Describe business relationship management
Week-3: Read Chapters 6-8 of textbook; complete all assignment questions
- Service Design
- Comprehend the four key elements of service design
- Measure major aspects of service design
Week-4: Read Chapters 9-11 of textbook; do complete all assignment questions
- Service Transition and Change Management Processes
- Define the scope of service transition
- Illustrate the value of service transition in business
- Identify the purpose of the change management process
- Describe the role of change advisory board
Week-5: Read Chapter 12 of textbook; do complete all assignment questions
- Continual Service Improvement (CSI)
- Describe the purpose of CSI
Week-6: Read Chapter 13 of textbook; do complete all assignment questions
- Comprehend the seven step improvement process
- Review previous chapters